Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Jesus- Dragon Slayer

In the last week or so I have heard several sermons on the radio and in my own church about Satan and demons.  I have had multiple conversations on the topic in recent days. I think this is interesting because it is not a topic I typically talk a lot about.  Again and again though, it has come into my path.

The Bible is not unclear that Satan exists.  He is described as the liar, murderer, accuser, deceiver, dragon.  He is obviously engaged in a spiritual battle that we can't see but effects us every day.  I want to share just a few words today to acknowledge that we as Christians need to embrace the reality of this truth without shame.  This is another of those places where secularists in our society would rather laugh at our "foolishness" than actually talk about reality.  Christians as a result find themselves apologizing for believing in such a foolish notion.  We mustn't feel that way.  Again, the wisdom of God, the Bible, is not unclear on the issue.

On the other hand, many Christians begin to look for Satan everywhere and attribute to him God-like qualities.  I have heard Christians praying to Satan, yes praying to Satan, as they "bind" him cast him away.  This is also unhealthy and dangerous, and blasphemous.  So how should we think about the devil?

I like to think of him in the terms of David and Goliath.  What?  I don't mean we are David and we will slay the giant.  No, I mean that Goliath represented Satan and David was fulfilled in Jesus.  When David had taken off the head of Goliath he took his armor back and hung it up for display in his tent.  (I assume it was for display...hard to use the armor of a giant on oneself.)  1Sam 17:54  And David took the head of the Philistine and brought it to Jerusalem, but he put his armor in his tent.  Where is Satan's armor?

Well, when Adam and Eve fell and God's curse was brought against them, he pointed to the seed of woman who would have his heel struck by the serpent but he would crush its head.  Jesus came and did just that.  He was bruised, but he crushed the head of the serpent.  The thought that Satan is defeated and his armor is in Jesus tent gives me a great hope.I do not tremble at the thought of Satan or his legions.  I rely on the one who has defeated them.  He may strike out like a wounded animal now, but the chains have already been prepared for him.

Let me encourage you to find your peace in the dragon slaying Jesus Christ as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment