Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Are you a radical or disobedient?

"Jesus calls us to a radical life, so you are either living radically or disobediently."  This was a statement I made teaching Acts chapter 4 in Sunday School last week.  Ever make a statement while teaching and then think about whether it is a true statement or not?  I hate that feeling.  Little late to be working that out now...should have asked that before the lesson.  Sometimes though, things just come unscripted, and there they are.  That is what this statement was to me.  I still think this statement is true.  Luke 9:23-24:  And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  (24)  For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.

The thing that made me question the first statement I made is the fact that it seems to be a condemnation on the christian walk for myself, many friends and family, and millions of church goers.  Am I living in disobedience to Jesus call on my life if I am not living radically?  Yes!  This was understood by those who walked with Jesus...read Acts chapter 4.  (all of Acts actually) James said it this way, "friendship with the world is enmity with God."  If we are not living counter culturally, then we are living counter Godly.  It's not just James, read Paul's charge: 


1Co 4:9-16  For I think that God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death, because we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels, and to men.  (10)  We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute.  (11)  To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are poorly dressed and buffeted and homeless,  (12)  and we labor, working with our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure;  (13)  when slandered, we entreat. We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things.  (14)  I do not write these things to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children.  (15)  For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.  (16)  I urge you, then, be imitators of me.

He is exhorting the Corinthian believers who are living wise, strong, honored lives.  They have plenty to eat and drink and wear.  They have homes to live in and protect them from the elements.  Their work provides for themselves and their families needs.  They face little persecution for the sake of Christ and when someone speaks ill of them there is a level of indignation.  They are not really treated all that badly by the unbelieving world.  What in that description does not apply to me and to you?  Paul acknowledges that they have a lot of teachers telling them a lot of things.  There are some who teach that this is the way you should live.  "You are a child of the king so live like a prince."  These teachers failed to see the Prince, and hear his call.  Paul says imitate me!  Be like me, be thought foolish, weak, and with a bad reputation.  Go where you may not have food and drink and clothes.  Let your work provide for the needs of ministry not just blessing your family.  Be persecuted and slandered and all the while bless and pray for those mistreating you.  Don't be a friend of the world
but a friend of God.

Imitate Paul as he imitates Christ.  That is the life Christ chose.  Chose!  He didn't have to live that way.  Neither did Paul, or James or anyone else.  They chose to follow Jesus.  He told them up front that to follow him would mean self denial and taking up death. I don't want to just accept this hard life if it comes upon me, I want to choose it.  Lord please rescue me from the disobedience of living like I can love God and mammon.  Let me love you!  Free me to live a radical life!  

No comments:

Post a Comment