Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Disabled Person's Great Need.

Until four months ago I was (I am ashamed to say) almost completely unaware of the needs of the disabled people in my community and their families and caregivers.  The horizon of my world expanded a bit when my my son was born two months premature.  For weeks we had been at our local hospital trying to stop my wife's contractions but nearing the end of June nothing was to be done.  We awoke early in the morning, my wife was flown to the nearest large city that had a NICU that could provide the care a baby born so early would need.  The concern was his lungs.  When a baby is born that early, it is hard to know how developed their lungs will be.

I can remember the day clearly.  By the time I got to the hospital my wife was under an hour away from delivering our son.  As he was delivered the room sprung into activity.  Nurses and doctors were caring for my wife and for our baby boy.  I tried to find my peace in the Lord as we waited to hear how he was breathing and how everything else was looking.  The next few moments were incredible.  His lungs were healthy, he was breathing fine.  His heart looks good!  the reports came in one after the other in a matter of minutes.  The doctor relayed the news, everything looks good.  And then, without even looking up she said "And you know we think he has Downs Syndrome right?"  No, we hadn't done any screening, I was floored by the news.  All the good news was rolling in and then this seemed to come crashing in like some joke that I didn't get.

Over the next few days I sought to bless my wife, bless our other four children, and try to read as much information as I could get my hands on about Downs Syndrome.  Most of the medical information I read was pretty bleak.  I thought it could have been written by Rabshakeh outside the walls.  One percentage after another was given to describe the heart defect I should expect, the intestinal issues that would probably require surgery, the hearing issues, the developmental difficulties...on and on it went.  I had to come to a place where I recognized that the God who delivered my son safely into this world, would see him through this life, whatever difficulties lay ahead.

These were the words I tearfully read in the NICU as I watched my son sleep under the lights and hooked up to all the equipment.  Psalm 71:5-6 " For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O LORD, from my youth.  (6)  Upon you I have leaned from before my birth; you are he who took me from my mother's womb. My praise is continually of you."  I know hard times may lay ahead, but we will trust the Lord in them.

As I mentioned, my horizon expanded that day.  I have the hope of Jesus Christ to walk through this season.  Many organizations reached out to us, some were very gracious and much appreciated.  None offered the hope of Jesus Christ; the hope and help that comes in the gospel.  So God has allowed us to begin a Disabilities ministry through our church.  I am excited for the opportunity to see Christ magnified in the disabled community.  The Gospel of Jesus Christ is a disabled persons greatest need.

I think that is made evident in Luke 5.  Some men bring to Jesus a paralyzed man.  Jesus has compassion of the man and speaks his grace to meet his greatest need.  Luke 5:18-20  "And behold, some men were bringing on a bed a man who was paralyzed, and they were seeking to bring him in and lay him before Jesus,  (19)  but finding no way to bring him in, because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through the tiles into the midst before Jesus.  (20)  And when he saw their faith, he said, "Man, your sins are forgiven you.""

Jesus forgave his sins.  of course he wasn't done, he would also bring healing to his body, but if the story had ended right there, Jesus would have given the paralyzed man the best he had to offer.  He removed his sin, no barrier remained for him to walk with God for all eternity.  A few years of laying paralyzed would become "light and momentary affliction" in the eternity with almighty God.  I don't make light of his disability or anyone else's.  I mean to highly exalt the glory of Jesus Christ over any of the trials of this life.

I hope you know this Jesus. I hope you have found in him the forgiveness of your sins that you might walk with him forever!


No comments:

Post a Comment