Thursday, November 17, 2011

God has no hands but our hands...say what?

"God has no hands but our hands.  God has no feet but our feet."  I heard this phrase in a sermon I was listening to on the way in to the office this morning. The preacher was Liam Goligher, but in his defense, he was being as critical of that statement as I intend to be in this post.  Liam made a statement as he is preaching out of 1 Samuel, "when you make this statement you are saying your god is no bigger than Dagon."  I have to agree.  Many in the church today seem to have adopted the self reliant attitude of our humanistic society.  This statement goes further than saying "I can rely upon myself" and moves to "God must rely on me too."  


I appreciate the desire to find us as God's people serving and not just talking.  I appreciate that we are the body of Christ and need to be actively involved in missions and serving and all that God would have us be a part of.  But we must be careful not to approach God with such a heart as to picture him as dependent upon us.  (Act 17:24-25  The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man,  (25)  nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything.)  Our lives are wrapped up in him, not the other way around.


In Psalm 50 we read of God coming to judge his people Israel.  He draws powerfully and impressively before the people and renders his verdict: Psalms 50:7-15  "Hear, O my people, and I will speak; O Israel, I will testify against you. I am God, your God.  (8)  Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you; your burnt offerings are continually before me.  (9)  I will not accept a bull from your house or goats from your folds.  (10)  For every beast of the forest is mine, the cattle on a thousand hills.  (11)  I know all the birds of the hills, and all that moves in the field is mine.  (12)  "If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for the world and its fullness are mine.  (13)  Do I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats?  (14)  Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High,  (15)  and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me."

He does not rebuke them because of failure to sacrifice and serve him.  This they are doing.  His rebuke is that in serving him, they have thought they were providing for God.  They saw God as dependent upon their sacrifice and work.  God points out that everything they bring to him was already his and says, "offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving."  This removes the focus from us doing for God and lets us realize that God is the one who we call upon in the day of trouble, it is God who delivers us.  This is the sacrifice that gives God the glory instead of elevating ourselves.  

So go be the hands and feet of Christ...but realize he could use a rock or stone.  Thank Him for the privilege of serving him and receiving all that we need from Him.

1 comment:

  1. "Say what?!?!?" I was just going to title my next blog post that! ha, ha, ha!

    Good thoughts to ponder... you noisy watchman

    ReplyDelete