Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Not Just Passing By


When Moses wanted to see the Lord he placed him in the cleft of the rock and hid him there with his hand as he passed by.  Exo 33:22  and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by.

Similarly, after Elijah fled he did not experience God in the strong wind or earthquake or fire, but in the low whisper. 1Ki 19:11-13  And he said, "Go out and stand on the mount before the LORD." And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake.  (12)  And after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper.  (13)  And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

God was revealing Himself when he passed by.  His glory was on display.  At times he refused to pass by in judgement of his disobedient people.  Amo 7:8  And the LORD said to me, "Amos, what do you see?" And I said, "A plumb line." Then the Lord said, "Behold, I am setting a plumb line in the midst of my people Israel; I will never again pass by them;

I heard a sermon on the radio this morning that made this application when it is said of Jesus Mar 6:48-50  And he saw that they were making headway painfully, for the wind was against them. And about the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. He meant to pass by them,  (49)  but when they saw him walking on the sea they thought it was a ghost, and cried out,  (50)  for they all saw him and were terrified. But immediately he spoke to them and said, "Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid."

May the Lord pass by you as you make headway in the storm of this day.  May you be blessed to see Him in his glory.  2Co 4:6  For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment