Tuesday, December 13, 2011

How Much Do You Love Her? Him?

While providing premarital counseling to a couple before marrying them we look at the Biblical expectations  in a marriage.  I love the day when we come to the question that I pose to the prospective groom, "If given the opportunity to save the life of your bride, even though you know it will cost you your own life, would you do it?"  My question follows the Biblical instructions for "husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the church and gave his life..."  I have asked this question dozens of times to dozens of grooms and I have never had anyone even hesitate a little bit before answering in the absolute affirmative.  "Of course I would die for her!"  I will then ask them, "Are you sure she is a person worthy of the ultimate sacrifice of your very life?"  "Yes, I would lay down my life for this woman" he will respond.  I then charge him to remember that when he is arguing over some lesser sacrifice that marriage to this woman is going to require of him.  I charge him to consider that saying you would die for someone and even giving your life up for them (I assume) is easier than living day after day and year after year like you believe that to be true.

That can be true of our walk with Jesus Christ as well.  As I mentioned in yesterdays blog I was looking Sunday at Stephen and his brutal death by stoning in Acts chapter 7.  We have a few short verses that bring his life into view and hold his death in perspective.  He is described as a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit.  He was a man full of grace and power.  The church had entrusted him with the distribution of resources among the widows and he did this while teaching in the Greek speaking synagogue(s) and performing miraculous signs and wonders.  He was a man of wisdom, courage, endurance.  I am convinced that Stephen was able to follow the Lord into death because he had followed him in life.

Do you recognize the call that Jesus has placed on your life?  Do you remember that to follow him is going to mean denying yourself, taking up your cross, and following him?  There are many many Christians losing their lives today for their faith in Jesus Christ.  They are living their lives in such a way as to warrant that death.  At least consider this reality today as you decide how you will live this day.  Redeem the time, the days are evil!

No comments:

Post a Comment