Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Apostles, Believers, and Sinners


John the Baptist declared his view of himself as compared to Christ with the famous words "He must increase, but I must decrease."  He saw a need to esteem himself with less honor and Christ with increasing honor.  I think this is the natural flow in the Christian life.  Not just as we compare ourselves with Christ but as we consider ourselves at all.  The more mature you grow with Christ the more aware you become of the deceitfulness of sin and you realize how truly dark the darkness was that Christ shone in upon.  You begin to recognize the dryness of the bones that Jesus breathed life into.  This is humbling,,,and it is healthy.... and it is good.

Consider the Apostle Paul.  We would all esteem him very highly, I assume.  See how he esteemed himself as he matured in the faith.  Below are three verses, all written by Paul,with the approximate date they were written:

1Co 15:9  For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. (53-55a.d.)
Eph 3:8  To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, (62a.d.)
1Ti 1:15  The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. (64-65a.d.)

Paul considered himself least of the Apostles, then least of all believers, then as foremost of sinners.

I encourage you to esteem yourself as God does.  Not to make you feel guilty and sad but that you would really appreciate the goodness of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment