Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Who is saved?

In previous posts we have seen what God did to maintain his perfect justice and his perfect love. He sent Jesus to die. He raised Him again on the third day an acceptable offering. (More on the raising later) If Jesus died to cover sin, is all sin covered? We know God sent Jesus because he so loved "the world." We know it is "not his will that any should perish." And yet we also read of the judgement that awaits the wicked. Why have some been saved by Jesus sacrifice and others have not?

John 1:11-13 He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. (12) But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, (13) who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

Two answers: Those who receive him, those who believe in his name, those are the ones who enjoy the restored relationship and become children of God. When you hear the gospel you must receive it and believe it or it will do no good for your soul. I have a couch in my living room. It is soft and brown. It is made of various materials, some I know and others I don't. I know some things about that couch. I even know it's purpose. It is made to be sat in or laid down on. If you ask my five children they have some additional purposes that I have thus far been able to discourage them from. At any rate I receive no benefit from the couch by the information I have about it and its purpose. I will receive the comfort it has to offer when I sit in it. I actually have to rest in it...trust it to bear me up. This gospel is this way. Don't engage it only intellectually, engage it experientially.

Verse 13 quoted above points to a second and profound answer. If you are a child of God, if you have believed and received, you did not do this because of your genealogy or even your will, but you were born of God. The belief that is required of you is first a gift to you. 1Jn 4:19 We love because he first loved us. Eph 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, (9) not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

I know that many in Christian circles often pit these Biblical truths against each other, but we have to see that Scripture clearly teaches both God's sovereign choice of election and mans responsibility to respond by faith and repentance. Don't get lost in the doctrinal discussion, come to Jesus and believe in Him. Any who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved. As you are saved know that you can't even boast about the fact that you came to Jesus, even that was given to you by Jesus. Don't just talk about God and this process...rest in Him!







No comments:

Post a Comment